Think Pink with More Knowledge

Posted by Jeri Maxedon 2009-03-04
Hopefully by now you have been told of the effects of breast cancer and know what to look for during your monthly self examinations. If not, I suggest you visit the Susan G Komen - for the cure website for detailed information on breast cancer. But, for those of you who are aware, there is something else about breast cancer that you probably haven't heard...
I was recently emailed information on a type of breast cancer called IBC or Inflammatory Breast Cancer. This is a very rare type of breast cancer, accounting for 1 -5 percent of all breast cancer cases in the U.S., and it is extremely aggressive.

Symptoms of IBC are:

  • redness, swelling, warmth in the breast (often WITHOUT the distinct lump that we are all trained to look for...)
  • breast may also appear pink, reddish purple, or bruised
  • skin may also have ridges or appear pitted, like the skin of an orange
  • Other symptoms include heaviness, burning, aching, increase in breast size, tenderness, or a nipple that is inverted (facing inward).

These symptoms usually develop quickly—over a period of weeks or months. Swollen lymph nodes may also be present under the arm, above the collarbone, or in both places.

Please watch the following video for more information on IBC:

(and I have to warn you of the graphic nature)

My intent on posting this is not to scare you, it is to make you aware of another type of breast cancer that you may or may not know exists. My eyes were definitely opened today, and I will certainly keep this in mind during my monthly breasts exams. I encourage you to do your own research on this disease and pass this information on to every woman you know... It may save her life!

Here are some links I found useful:

2 comments

  1. I had the pleasure of meeting the founder of the Susan G Komen foundation,she has done some amazing things with that org and now its so well known. I try to air her commercials on my show everytime she has her walk marathons too.

     
  2. WOW! I didn't know about that either, thanks for posting this...very informative!

     

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment on Pink & Posh! If you do not have a blog to link back to, please leave your email address in the comment.

Subscribe

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Facebook

Followers

Tweets